My Cheek line has been proved back to the early 1700s with evidence that it probably goes back to Anthony was in in Virginia in 1660. While I have all of that line documented I don’t have good citations for all of the connections. So that is my real goal for the competition, to have that line fully documented with complete citations. I was really doing well yesterday and got ten done, when I got distracted. I was looking at Ruth Stephens Bluebonnet blog and discovered scrapblogging. I was hooked. So I spent the rest of the day putting together the January Wedding scrapblog that you can see below. Anyway I am now at 10 citations and looking for a way to stay focussed.
Monthly Archives: August 2008
The flag of Cheekasia represents the USA where five of our children were born, three in Oklahoma and two in Texas and Malaysia where our son, John was born. While we have lived in several countries none of them affected us like Malaysia.
We welcome Melissa, the latest addition to the family. Her wedding to my nephew Adam gave us the chance to take the closest thing to a full family portrait that we have had for a long time. We have 31 family members and 28 of them are in the picture.
Family members included are the bride and groom-Adam and Melissa
Parents of the groom–my sister, Ann, and her husband, James, and their son Daniel
My older brother, James, his wife, Sandra, their daughter, Jamie and grandson, Brandon
My younger sister, Alice, her husband, Mike, and their daughters, Brittain and Alyssa
My wife, Jene and I and our children and their families
Shannon, her husband Brent and daughters Erin, Emma & Eliza Grace
Rick and his wife Erin
Matt and his wife Whitney
Bob and his friend Michelle
John and his wife Leanne
Missing are my nephew Jim, his wife Nona and daughter Lauren who weren’t able to make the trip from South Carolina
In the spirit of the summer games, I plan to compete in the following events:
1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources!–Surely I can go for the gold in this one.
2. Back Up Your Data!–I have already done C, do I have to go back and do A & B to get the gold medal?
3. Organize Your Research!–I’ve already been working on this. If I can’t reach diamond level I’m going to be disappointed.
4. Write, Write, Write!–I’m not sure how far I can go in this one if I get the others done, but I’ll try at least get a silver medal.
5. Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!–I do this on an ongoing basis whenever I can so I won’t formally compete in this category. I’ll just keep on doing what I’ve been doing.
One of the Cheek family’s finest is in the news again. Joey Cheek, who captured headlines by winning gold in the Winter Olympics and then donating the prize money to humanitarian causes has been denied a visa to attend the Summer Olympics in China. Joey has been active in Team Darfur working toward ending the genocide going on in the Sudan. China has been a supporter of the Sudanese government which is one of its major oil suppliers. For more information see the stories at